Wednesday, November 16, 2011

"Mr. and Mrs. Vinegar lived comfortably in a pickle jar."

So I chose it because the title seemed interesting, and I was trying to decide what could be interesting about this book.  What do I do to find out more about it? How about open the book!  The above quote is the first line of the story.

The writing in this story is really funny.  It starts out that Mrs. Vinegar breaks their glass pickle jar home and Mr. Vinegar says that they will go out into the world and make their fortune and "have another fine pickle jar".  Okay, so the plot is lagging, but the way Stephen Gammel writes his story is funny.  Check this last quote:
" 'Leave now?' Mrs. Vinegar replied. 'But what of our belongings?' 

Mr. Vinegar waved his hands. 'Nothing to fret about. I shall take out door and the key as well.  All will be safe upon our return.' "

I will keep that in mind: if I want to keep my belongings safe, I'll remove my door and take it with me as I run errands!

1 comment:

  1. Makes sense to me: If there's no door, nobody can pick the lock.

    ReplyDelete